Spring-time drizzle and gray skies will soon give way to warm breezes and rustling green leaves. While we wait to open up the windows, it’s the perfect time to say “so long” to winter and welcome summer bedding into your bedroom. Here are a few tips to prepare for, and transition to, the balmy nights to come.
- Lighten up, and pack up your winter worries. Use light and bright accents to add extra pop to your summer-weight bedding after you store your heavier blankets and coverings for the season.
- Give the bed a clean sweep. Before you make the bed, be sure to flip and rotate the mattress while laundering mattress pads and mattress covers. Vacuum the mattress using an upholstery attachment before returning the washed and thoroughly dried mattress pad, then make the bed in your favorite summer sheets. Try adding a patterned quilt and shams for light-weight warmth and visual interest.
- Accent the room for the season. Remove candles which evoke a sense of winter’s low light (and flicker like a source of heat) ,and replace them with your favorite vases and cache pots for fresh flowers.
- Let the sun shine in. Wash the windows, and replace your heavy insulated draperies with sheers that let the summer light in.
- Get ready for your best night’s sleep in months!
Nautical looks return perennially letting us know summer has made its anticipated comeback. From US Olympic uniforms and fashion to home décor, the look is universally popular because of its clean, crisp, and classic feel. Whether sea-side or in the city, the nautical look is an easy to love…and just as easy to introduce in your home. Here are five quick ways to evoke a surf-side feel.
- Layer on the stripes. Stripes are the foundation of nautical fashion, and striped accent pillows are the fastest way to add pop to upholstered furniture or any seating area.
- Feature white and blue rugs. When it comes to nautical style, white and blue are the power couple. Add in some cool gray, and you have the makings of the perfect coastal color palette.
- Express yourself with motifs. Whimsical Motifs express who you are, and start great conversations. Our Sealegs accent rug will add character to any room.
- Hand-tied detailing. Hand-tied knots served sailors for generations…and add visual interest and texture.
Check, Please Outdoor Rug
Sealegs Accent Rug
Pantone, the color standard specialists to the creative industry, announced nine key color palettes that will be significant in home and interior design elements throughout the remainder of this year, and into 2017.
Little did we know, our all-new Water Lilies rug is the embodiment of the Day Dreaming palette, described as “a series of pleasant thoughts that distract our attention from the present”. Featuring Serenity (pale blue) and Rose Quartz (pale pink), Pantone’s co- colors of 2016, this home design palette reinforces the significance of pastels in interior design including paint hues, accents, textiles, appliances, and of course…rugs. Punctuation colors included in this on-trend palette include Blue Glow, Nile Green, Plein Air, and Yellow Iris.
View our water lilies pillow and rug.
Don’t confuse our hand-spun jute rugs with a scratchy door mat! We developed our hand-hooked jute rugs for those that do not want the heavy feel of a thick wool rug.
The yarn’s shimmer is emphasized in natural light, and makes our jute collection at home in any climate from the northeast to Florida, to the coast of California.
Naturally stronger than wool, jute is a great choice for all your dry and busy areas, and is resilient to shedding.
There is a perfect rug for anywhere you need one, but the challenges of foot traffic, moisture, and other environmental factors should be a part of your selection process in addition to the color and design. With so many construction methods and materials, we thought that a simple and abridged approach to rugs types and their best uses might be helpful!
Hand-tufted wool rugs are made with thick and sumptuous yarns, and feel luxurious underfoot. These rugs are best suited for medium and low traffic areas including living and family rooms, bedrooms, and dining rooms.
Hand-hooked wool rugs, composed of smaller loops, have a lower pile and profile than a tufted rug. Hooked rugs meet the demands of all traffic levels from bedrooms to kitchens, and are best used in a dry location as opposed to any entryway or mud room.
Hand-tufted cut and loop pile wool rugs are an excellent choice for any room, and offer up lots of visual interest via their surface texture. These rugs are ready to take on all your traffic patterns.
Bamboo viscose is a new yarn for its soft shimmer and shine, and for its ability to become saturated with dyes yielding spectacular colors. It is soft and luxurious, so we like to think of bamboo viscose as cashmere for your floor. Hand spun bamboo viscose rugs are best suited for your dressier spaces that experience lower traffic such as living rooms and bed rooms.
Polypropylene hooked and flatweave rugs are perfect for any space, indoors or out. These rugs take a beating, can be cleaned with a garden hose, and stand up to all traffic levels including that of mudrooms, porches, and entryway. Yet they look just right in a family room, bedroom, or kitchen.
We all love spring, and its annual promise of a return to slamming screen doors, long lazy days, and a cool drink on the porch. Summer is a care-free time, and that casual feeling translates into the design style that will highlight the coming months. Here are the 4 trends for warm weather, and there is seasonal fun for everyone.
- Nautical nods. By land or by sea, summer is the season to pull out all the sea-side stops!
- Bright, BRIGHT, B R I G H T S. Don’t be shy when it comes to color. Summer is the time to let your inner preppy shine.
- Make a statement with motifs. Summer is the time for light-hearted fun, and a themed rug adds interest in a snap.
- Outdoor living. Barefoot –friendly and easy-care polypropylene rugs visually ground outdoor furniture on a porch or deck. They brighten transitional high-traffic areas while simultaneously collecting the errant beach sand we all secretly love!