||How to Measure
How do you determine the correct size rug for your space? It is not an exact science. The type of room and furniture placement should factor into your decision. We suggest leaving an equal amount of flooring exposed on all sides of the room. The first step is always to measure the space using a tape measure. One of the most common mistakes is to rely on a visual or ‘eyeball’ the space. A 6×9 rug can look very differently hanging on a rack. To make it easy, use our room planner!
Dining & Breakfast Room:
- When selecting a room size rug for the dining room, you need to measure the length and width of your table. Don’t forget to include the table leaf if you use it frequently.
- A good rule of thumb is to allow at least 24″ to 30″ of rug beyond the table on each side to allow chairs to move in and out, ensuring the chair is still placed on the rug when seated. For visual interest, a round roug is a great choice beneath either a round or square table. Use the guide below to determine the best size rug for your dining room.
- If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
Living or Family Room:
- When selecting a room size rug, allow 12″ to 18″ of floor as a border around the rug; however in small rooms, you can leave less floor showing. In a very large or open room, you may want to consider using two different, but related rugs, to anchor each seating area.
- Your rug should anchor your furniture, use the guide below for options. If you prefer, furniture legs may be placed on or off the rug.
- Make sure to account for any heating vents or doorways.
- Depending on the usage of the room, you may want to consider traffic patterns.
- An 8×10 rug brings together most furniture groupings nicely. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for details.
- When selecting a room size rug for the bedroom, it’s always nice to start your day with a step or two on our rugs. Use the guide below to determine the best options based on the room layout and your needs.
- If you have twin beds in the same room, a 3×5 rug or runner between the beds is always a great choice.
- This is the perfect place to play around with rug sizes-try a round rug or a rectangular rug placed at a diagonal underneath the bed. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
- Make sure the door can open and close over the rug. Consider the thickness or pile height of the rug.
- If it’s a long hallway, you can also consider using two 8 ft runners.
Do you still have questions? Contact Our Design Consultants!
If you have any additional questions about measuring a room, please feel free to contact us.
102 Old Turnpike Road
Concord NH 03301