Be ready to welcome those summer breezes into your home, and some sunlight, too. Warming days means it’s time to get windows ready for summer draperies. Here are five tips to help you get any room’s windows ready for the season.
- Send the heavy draperies on vacation. Now is the time to remove heavy fabric and insulated draperies, and have them cleaned to be ready for next fall and winter.
- Prepare for breeze arrival. With draperies down, inspect for dust, and any other reminders of winter such as cobwebs. Open up the windows and check tracks and guides for loose dirt, debris, and any lingering insect guests. Once all the treasures your windows have been collecting for the last six months have been vacuumed up, you are ready for step three.
- Clean the breeze delivery system. Vacuum the screens using the dust brush attachment, moving left to right over the screening, and then repeating top to bottom.
- Make the glass sparkle. Now is the time to wash the windows, inside and out. This project is best tackled on a cloudy day, or when direct sunlight is not hitting the window, to avoid streaking. The internet has an abundance of cleaning solutions and methods to investigate. Be it paper towel, wadded up newspaper, or a squeegee, you will know which method is best for you and your window type. Squeegee always wins the speed test, FYI. Steps two and three leading up to washing will ensure that dust will not be delivered onto clean windows when the first balmy breeze blows through your screens.
- Lighten up. Be it for privacy or to diffuse the direct summer sunlight, it’s time to put up light and airy summer draperies. When the first breeze of summer blows into the room, the lightweight drapes will do a happy dance to thank you for all your effort. And you will be pretty happy with yourself, too!