Whether with a good book by your side, or binge-watching your new favorite programming on Netflix, some week-ends are made for total relaxation… the inspiration for our Weekender collection, and our Hickory hand-tufted rug. Snuggled up in our sumptuous Confetti throw with the first fire of the season crackling is something to savor, and begs for the perfect lunch. Hearty, flavorful, and easy… here are the key steps to a delicious grilled cheese sandwich that will pair nicely with a novel… or the remote control.
What you will need: bread or brioche of choice, butter and/or mayonnaise, brie cheese with rind removed, and fig jam.
Preheat a skillet to medium-low heat. While the skillet warms:
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Some of our “Company C chefs” swear mayonnaise browns more evenly, the choice is yours
- Remove the rind from the brie, and cut into slices
- Once the skillet is evenly hot, place a slice of bread “butter (or mayonnaise) side” down in the pan. Add brie slices and an even, light layer of fig jam to the bread in the pan, then place the second piece of bread on top “butter (or mayonnaise) side” up
- Allow the cheese to melt and the bottom of the sandwich to attain a golden brown
Then flip and repeat. Each side, dependent on stove and pan, may require up to three minutes. The key is a medium low temperature for melty cheese and golden browning. Higher heats will speed the process… but burn the bread.
This recipe can be augmented based on what is in the kitchen. We love the sweet savory nature of the brie and the fig jam, but even fresh blue berries with the brie would work. Enjoy… the sandwich and your lazy cozy fall week-end!
Interior designer Liz Hause dreamed of her Reflections Rug during our Design-a-Rug contest last year.
Inspired by the view from an airplane window, Liz began the design process to re-create the cloud formations and geometric patterns created on the ground, mimicking blue sky above and land below in dappled sunlight. Liz and Chris Chapin, Company C’s Chief Color Officer, then set out to bring the design to life.
Initial color concepts were soft cool blues and greens to represent water and the spring-time vibrancy of the ground, while warm oranges, yellows, and reds conveyed the reflection of the setting sun. Hand-tufted cut and loop pile and the use of hand-spun bamboo viscose bring shine and dimension to this winning design.
An acclaimed interior designer throughout New England, Liz created her design to bring a sophisticated look and color palette to her clients’ homes… and yours! To learn more about Liz’s work, visit www.lizhausedesign.com.
The visual texture created by leaves on the forest’s floor inspired our Hickory rug design. We love the way that nature organically creates its own design philosophy each season.
We recreated nature’s seemingly haphazard surface texture using mottled wool yarns of varying thicknesses in a hand-tufted loop pile construction. Naturally neutral tones highlight our Hickory rug, the star of our “weekender” collection.
Nature got the design off on the right foot, but we finished strong using on-trend hues of toffee, platinum, and pewter…perfect to compliment a variety of room styles.
How do you determine the correct size rug for your space? It is not an exact science. The type of room and furniture placement should factor into your decision. We suggest leaving an equal amount of flooring exposed on all sides of the room. The first step is always to measure the space using a tape measure. One of the most common mistakes is to rely on a visual or ‘eyeball’ the space. A 6×9 rug can look very differently hanging on a rack. To make it easy, use our room planner!
Dining & Breakfast Room:
- When selecting a room size rug for the dining room, you need to measure the length and width of your table. Don’t forget to include the table leaf if you use it frequently.
- A good rule of thumb is to allow at least 24″ to 30″ of rug beyond the table on each side to allow chairs to move in and out, ensuring the chair is still placed on the rug when seated. For visual interest, a round rug is a great choice beneath either a round or square table. Use the guide below to determine the best size rug for your dining room.
- If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
Living or Family Room:
- When selecting a room size rug, allow 12″ to 18″ of floor as a border around the rug; however in small rooms, you can leave less floor showing. In a very large or open room, you may want to consider using two different, but related rugs, to anchor each seating area.
- Your rug should anchor your furniture, use the guide below for options. If you prefer, furniture legs may be placed on or off the rug.
- Make sure to account for any heating vents or doorways.
- Depending on the usage of the room, you may want to consider traffic patterns.
- An 8×10 rug brings together most furniture groupings nicely. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for details.
- When selecting a room size rug for the bedroom, it’s always nice to start your day with a step or two on our rugs. Use the guide below to determine the best options based on the room layout and your needs.
- If you have twin beds in the same room, a 3×5 rug or runner between the beds is always a great choice.
- This is the perfect place to play around with rug sizes-try a round rug or a rectangular rug placed at a diagonal underneath the bed. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
- Make sure the door can open and close over the rug. Consider the thickness or pile height of the rug.
- If it’s a long hallway, you can also consider using two 8 ft runners.
Do you still have questions? Contact Our Design Consultants!
If you have any additional questions about measuring a room, please feel free to contact us.
102 Old Turnpike Road
Concord NH 03301
No Tweedle Dee, and definitely no Tweedle Dumb……Looking Glass was inspired by classic magnificent patterns, a modern damask exploded in soft jewel tones. Luxe and fanciful, the design feels both aged and patinaed, clean and modern. Our Looking Glass rug is very now…
Hand-tufted of bamboo viscose, Looking Glass is super-soft and sumptuous. Evoking a casual & modern opulence, Looking Glass sets the stage for a glamorous living room, or a bedroom haven no one would ever want to leave.
Saturated in shimmering color: topaz, sapphire, and aquamarine hues sparkle to life enhanced by the shine only bamboo viscose yarns can deliver.
Click here to order a sample of our Looking Glass rug today.
Envisioning a new living room? Refreshing a family room for fall? Where we gather together with family and friends matters, and the space should be as welcoming and conducive to entertaining as possible. When planning your space, begin with the basics: sofa, chair(s), side table(s), coffee table…..and at Company C we always start with art for the floor.
Sofas are often the room’s anchor. Large rooms will require a full sized sofa, or even a sectional to fill the space depending on how you plan to use the room. Smaller spaces will need a love seat or apartment sofa to prevent the room from feeling stuffed. Allow enough space between upholstery pieces and their accompanying accent tables to allow for easy walking around the sitting area.
Add armchairs based on available space, and anticipated numbers of people who might congregate in the room. Armchairs can be added symmetrically, or in a more mixed and less matched fashion….express yourself! If the space is for family fun, consider stain-resistant fabrics for all your upholstery.
With the basics in place, think about adding the most versatile of upholstered furniture: the ottoman. A design and service workhorse, the ottoman can double-duty as additional seating for guests or an extra tabletop for hors devours or a casual lunch. Or better yet, a place to rest your weary feet!
Every season finds us excited to share fresh designs with you, and this fall is no exception! Galleria is our newest statement rug design, and the “glass act” of our modern opulence collection. Inspired by the way the colors of Murano glass blend from one saturated hue to the next, this bursting paisley is drenched in layer upon layer of color.
Galleria is super-soft, hand-tufted of bamboo viscose. And by soft we mean sumptuously so. Galleria is perfect for your special oasis, or your casually dressy spaces…think favorite jeans and a velvet shirt.
Galleria is saturated in vibrant color, each shade enhanced by the shimmery shine only bamboo viscose yarns can deliver.
“If you want to be inspired by the artistry of Murano glass blowing in person, check out Show Me Italy’s tour of Venice and Murano”. Click here to learm more: http://www.showmeitaly.com/product/murano-glass-blowing-tour/
Image courtesy of showmeitaly.com