How do you determine the correct size rug for your space? It is not an exact science. The type of room and furniture placement should factor into your decision. We suggest leaving an equal amount of flooring exposed on all sides of the room. The first step is always to measure the space using a tape measure. One of the most common mistakes is to rely on a visual or ‘eyeball’ the space. A 6×9 rug can look very differently hanging on a rack. To make it easy, use our room planner!
Dining & Breakfast Room:
- When selecting a room size rug for the dining room, you need to measure the length and width of your table. Don’t forget to include the table leaf if you use it frequently.
- A good rule of thumb is to allow at least 24″ to 30″ of rug beyond the table on each side to allow chairs to move in and out, ensuring the chair is still placed on the rug when seated. For visual interest, a round rug is a great choice beneath either a round or square table. Use the guide below to determine the best size rug for your dining room.
- If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
Living or Family Room:
- When selecting a room size rug, allow 12″ to 18″ of floor as a border around the rug; however in small rooms, you can leave less floor showing. In a very large or open room, you may want to consider using two different, but related rugs, to anchor each seating area.
- Your rug should anchor your furniture, use the guide below for options. If you prefer, furniture legs may be placed on or off the rug.
- Make sure to account for any heating vents or doorways.
- Depending on the usage of the room, you may want to consider traffic patterns.
- An 8×10 rug brings together most furniture groupings nicely. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for details.
- When selecting a room size rug for the bedroom, it’s always nice to start your day with a step or two on our rugs. Use the guide below to determine the best options based on the room layout and your needs.
- If you have twin beds in the same room, a 3×5 rug or runner between the beds is always a great choice.
- This is the perfect place to play around with rug sizes-try a round rug or a rectangular rug placed at a diagonal underneath the bed. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
- Make sure the door can open and close over the rug. Consider the thickness or pile height of the rug.
- If it’s a long hallway, you can also consider using two 8 ft runners.
Do you still have questions? Contact Our Design Consultants!
If you have any additional questions about measuring a room, please feel free to contact us.
102 Old Turnpike Road
Concord NH 03301
No Tweedle Dee, and definitely no Tweedle Dumb……Looking Glass was inspired by classic magnificent patterns, a modern damask exploded in soft jewel tones. Luxe and fanciful, the design feels both aged and patinaed, clean and modern. Our Looking Glass rug is very now…
Hand-tufted of bamboo viscose, Looking Glass is super-soft and sumptuous. Evoking a casual & modern opulence, Looking Glass sets the stage for a glamorous living room, or a bedroom haven no one would ever want to leave.
Saturated in shimmering color: topaz, sapphire, and aquamarine hues sparkle to life enhanced by the shine only bamboo viscose yarns can deliver.
Click here to order a sample of our Looking Glass rug today.
Envisioning a new living room? Refreshing a family room for fall? Where we gather together with family and friends matters, and the space should be as welcoming and conducive to entertaining as possible. When planning your space, begin with the basics: sofa, chair(s), side table(s), coffee table…..and at Company C we always start with art for the floor.
Sofas are often the room’s anchor. Large rooms will require a full sized sofa, or even a sectional to fill the space depending on how you plan to use the room. Smaller spaces will need a love seat or apartment sofa to prevent the room from feeling stuffed. Allow enough space between upholstery pieces and their accompanying accent tables to allow for easy walking around the sitting area.
Add armchairs based on available space, and anticipated numbers of people who might congregate in the room. Armchairs can be added symmetrically, or in a more mixed and less matched fashion….express yourself! If the space is for family fun, consider stain-resistant fabrics for all your upholstery.
With the basics in place, think about adding the most versatile of upholstered furniture: the ottoman. A design and service workhorse, the ottoman can double-duty as additional seating for guests or an extra tabletop for hors devours or a casual lunch. Or better yet, a place to rest your weary feet!
Every season finds us excited to share fresh designs with you, and this fall is no exception! Galleria is our newest statement rug design, and the “glass act” of our modern opulence collection. Inspired by the way the colors of Murano glass blend from one saturated hue to the next, this bursting paisley is drenched in layer upon layer of color.
Galleria is super-soft, hand-tufted of bamboo viscose. And by soft we mean sumptuously so. Galleria is perfect for your special oasis, or your casually dressy spaces…think favorite jeans and a velvet shirt.
Galleria is saturated in vibrant color, each shade enhanced by the shimmery shine only bamboo viscose yarns can deliver.
“If you want to be inspired by the artistry of Murano glass blowing in person, check out Show Me Italy’s tour of Venice and Murano”. Click here to learm more: http://www.showmeitaly.com/product/murano-glass-blowing-tour/
Image courtesy of showmeitaly.com
Decorative pillows are the easiest way to refresh your bed room or living room.
Use a specific color in the pillow to tie it back to your bedding for a coordinated look, or use the pillows to anchor the bed in the room by bringing the wall color onto the bed’s pillowscape. Either approach will make the bed the center of attention.
Stacking or propping up decorative pillows into the mix of sleeping pillows on the bed adds depth and visual interest. There is no wrong approach. Pillows can be added in even numbers, or odd. Layer them on with smaller sized pillows toward the front.
The same color principles apply when accenting a living room sofa. Pillows will help to make upholstered pieces a part of the room, reflect your personal style, and can easily change seasonally. There are a few logical rules that will help you select the right quantities.
Think of pillows symmetrically, where each side of the sofa should be balanced with a complimentary number of pillows.
Sectional sofas are trending. They have their own special 7 pillow approach.
Think 2 – 3 – 2…
Have fun, and pile your pillows on!
We spend about one third of our lives asleep, which makes bedding a splurge-worthy necessity. What makes bedding luxurious lies in the materials from which it is manufactured. Cotton that is GOTS certified organic is our standard.
We use fine extra-long staple cotton to create our bedding. Single pic, single ply 300 thread-count sateen and percale weaves make our bedding extremely soft, strong, and luxurious. Look for organic cotton to ensure that your bedding has not been chemically treated.
Percale weave can be compared to a basket weave, and produces a crisp and cool feel, much like a cotton dress shirt. Percale is tightly woven for longer lasting wear. Its design characteristics make it perfect for casual bedrooms.
Sateen weaves are smooth and silky. Sateen inherently has an element of shine due to the denseness of its weave, so it adds a dressier and more glamorous look to any bedroom.
One of our favorite bedding materials is European linen. Perfect for duvet covers, organic linen adds texture and visual interest to the bed top.
Indoor/outdoor rugs are a great alternative to wool rugs, and take on heavy foot traffic with style and durability.
Also called easy care rugs, polypropylene hand-hooked and polyester flat weave rugs can be used outdoors or in. They are a cinch to clean, dry quickly, and are perfect for homes with kids, pets, or both.
Our Colorspree collection is all brawn when it comes to everyday wear and tear, but features an artistic softer side when it comes to color and design.
Whether flat weave or hand-hooked, indoor/outdoor rugs will last for years with routine care, and have the look of their wool cousins at a kid, and pet-friendly price.
All our easy-care rugs are now 30% off for a limited time only!