With the holidays knocking, it’s time to think about gathering friends and family to celebrate the season … and of course about the gifts that we all love to give … and receive! Thoughtful and sentimental offerings let people know you think of them throughout the year, but what about the place you love most…your home! Here’s what’s topping the inspired gift lists of impeccable residences this gift-giving season:
Stylish sofas can’t get enough of dazzlingly detailed pillows! Artisanal hand-crafted embellishments lend a worldly vibe, hand beading nods to stylish sophistication, and appliqué brings tactile and visual texture…jewelry for all your upholstered pieces.
Decorative pillows liven up any sofa
Beds revel in layers upon layers… and your holiday guests will appreciate the added warmth of a place to repose with duvets elegantly covered and matelasse crisply complementing bed tops. And no bedscape can resist the gift of accenting shams!
Duvets will help make your guests feel welcome
The front door deserves all the attention at Christmas! But why stop with a beautiful wreath? 2 x 3 accent rugs are the perfect way to welcome guests, accent the craftsmanship of your home’s entry, corral snow and debris, and convey the personality of your home. And they are easy to change by season….or your mood!
No home would be complete at the holidays, or the whole winter through, without a luxurious throw ( or three or four) to accent furniture in any room, and banish chills all season long.
throws are the perfect gift to keep you warm all winter long
Easy accents, these are the gifts your home will welcome all year.
Whether with a good book by your side, or binge-watching your new favorite programming on Netflix, some week-ends are made for total relaxation… the inspiration for our Weekender collection, and our Hickory hand-tufted rug. Snuggled up in our sumptuous Confetti throw with the first fire of the season crackling is something to savor, and begs for the perfect lunch. Hearty, flavorful, and easy… here are the key steps to a delicious grilled cheese sandwich that will pair nicely with a novel… or the remote control.
What you will need: bread or brioche of choice, butter and/or mayonnaise, brie cheese with rind removed, and fig jam.
Preheat a skillet to medium-low heat. While the skillet warms:
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Some of our “Company C chefs” swear mayonnaise browns more evenly, the choice is yours
- Remove the rind from the brie, and cut into slices
- Once the skillet is evenly hot, place a slice of bread “butter (or mayonnaise) side” down in the pan. Add brie slices and an even, light layer of fig jam to the bread in the pan, then place the second piece of bread on top “butter (or mayonnaise) side” up
- Allow the cheese to melt and the bottom of the sandwich to attain a golden brown
Then flip and repeat. Each side, dependent on stove and pan, may require up to three minutes. The key is a medium low temperature for melty cheese and golden browning. Higher heats will speed the process… but burn the bread.
This recipe can be augmented based on what is in the kitchen. We love the sweet savory nature of the brie and the fig jam, but even fresh blue berries with the brie would work. Enjoy… the sandwich and your lazy cozy fall week-end!
Interior designer Liz Hause dreamed of her Reflections Rug during our Design-a-Rug contest last year.
Inspired by the view from an airplane window, Liz began the design process to re-create the cloud formations and geometric patterns created on the ground, mimicking blue sky above and land below in dappled sunlight. Liz and Chris Chapin, Company C’s Chief Color Officer, then set out to bring the design to life.
Initial color concepts were soft cool blues and greens to represent water and the spring-time vibrancy of the ground, while warm oranges, yellows, and reds conveyed the reflection of the setting sun. Hand-tufted cut and loop pile and the use of hand-spun bamboo viscose bring shine and dimension to this winning design.
An acclaimed interior designer throughout New England, Liz created her design to bring a sophisticated look and color palette to her clients’ homes… and yours! To learn more about Liz’s work, visit www.lizhausedesign.com.
Pillows are an easy way to update a living room sofa or a bed’s pillowscape. It’s fun and fresh to seasonally change out your furniture and bed’s “jewelry”…just like you might your own. Let’s take a peek at some of your home’s most coveted trinkets and baubles.
Contrast and visual interest can be amplified by use of a single color story across varied coordinated designs.
Artisanal hand-crafted attention to detail creates a curated and worldly one-of-a-kind look
Monochromatic patterning creates coordination, depth, and unity
Velvet adds a warm and elegant feel
Motifs add a sense of whimsy and spark great conversations………and make great gifts! Have fun with pillows this fall, and pile them on for comfort, color, and texture as we begin to spend more time indoors.
Don’t forget all decorative pillows are 20% off & select pillows 50% off during our Columbus Day Sale… Through October 12, 2016.
The visual texture created by leaves on the forest’s floor inspired our Hickory rug design. We love the way that nature organically creates its own design philosophy each season.
We recreated nature’s seemingly haphazard surface texture using mottled wool yarns of varying thicknesses in a hand-tufted loop pile construction. Naturally neutral tones highlight our Hickory rug, the star of our “weekender” collection.
Nature got the design off on the right foot, but we finished strong using on-trend hues of toffee, platinum, and pewter…perfect to compliment a variety of room styles.
These early fall days are to be savored, but admit it, we all want a little taste of what made summer so special. This Roasted Beet and Orange Dijon salad is a great lunch on its own, or the perfect side to early autumn dinners. Did we mention this was easy? It is, and serves 4 to 6.
STEP ONE: Roast the beets. While pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees, wash and dry 4-6 beets after removing the greens and tail. Wrap individual beets in foil, and then roast for one hour. They may take a little longer…to be sure, the beets will pierce easily with a knife when fully roasted. Once cool to the touch, the beet’s outer skin can be removed under running water with a scrubbing brush.
While the beets are roasting, peel and remove the pith from 2-3 oranges slicing the fruit width-wise.
STEP TWO: Prepare your dressing. In 2 or 4 cup measuring cup, add 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 4 tablespoons coconut milk, and orange zest to taste. Stir until combined. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon olive oil while stirring. Slowly add the juice of one orange, stirring until mixed. Add sea salt and pepper to taste, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
STEP THREE: Plate the salad. Place mixed greens on a plate, and drizzle with a little of the dressing. Top the greens with alternating layered slices of roasted beets and oranges then drizzle again with a bit of dressing. Garnish with basil. Feta or your favorite soft crumbly cheese can be introduced as a compliment. ENJOY!
How do you determine the correct size rug for your space? It is not an exact science. The type of room and furniture placement should factor into your decision. We suggest leaving an equal amount of flooring exposed on all sides of the room. The first step is always to measure the space using a tape measure. One of the most common mistakes is to rely on a visual or ‘eyeball’ the space. A 6×9 rug can look very differently hanging on a rack. To make it easy, use our room planner!
Dining & Breakfast Room:
- When selecting a room size rug for the dining room, you need to measure the length and width of your table. Don’t forget to include the table leaf if you use it frequently.
- A good rule of thumb is to allow at least 24″ to 30″ of rug beyond the table on each side to allow chairs to move in and out, ensuring the chair is still placed on the rug when seated. For visual interest, a round rug is a great choice beneath either a round or square table. Use the guide below to determine the best size rug for your dining room.
- If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
Living or Family Room:
- When selecting a room size rug, allow 12″ to 18″ of floor as a border around the rug; however in small rooms, you can leave less floor showing. In a very large or open room, you may want to consider using two different, but related rugs, to anchor each seating area.
- Your rug should anchor your furniture, use the guide below for options. If you prefer, furniture legs may be placed on or off the rug.
- Make sure to account for any heating vents or doorways.
- Depending on the usage of the room, you may want to consider traffic patterns.
- An 8×10 rug brings together most furniture groupings nicely. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for details.
- When selecting a room size rug for the bedroom, it’s always nice to start your day with a step or two on our rugs. Use the guide below to determine the best options based on the room layout and your needs.
- If you have twin beds in the same room, a 3×5 rug or runner between the beds is always a great choice.
- This is the perfect place to play around with rug sizes-try a round rug or a rectangular rug placed at a diagonal underneath the bed. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
- Make sure the door can open and close over the rug. Consider the thickness or pile height of the rug.
- If it’s a long hallway, you can also consider using two 8 ft runners.
Do you still have questions? Contact Our Design Consultants!
If you have any additional questions about measuring a room, please feel free to contact us.
102 Old Turnpike Road
Concord NH 03301