The namesake of New York’s famed flower market, our new Chelsea rug is a welcome breath of spring-time inspiration as snow continues to blanket much of the country. This botanical beauty was a blast to design, and the process anything but traditional. The first step was to collect the floral specimens and greens from which to build a diverse and vivid color story.
We then “placed” these spiked blooms and leaves on our canvas, and moved them over and over again until we struck the right balance of height, color and texture. This created the inspiration to be shared with our rug craftsmen. We combined various yarn textures with several tufting techniques, creating visual delight.
The final version of the Chelsea rug features a strong statement of navy and burgundy, two of this season’s most on-trend colors. And like the sidewalks of New York’s flower district, a textural and tweedy background of un-dyed wool pops the saturated colors of flowers bringing spring indoors a little early this year.
The visual texture created by leaves on the forest’s floor inspired our Hickory rug design. We love the way that nature organically creates its own design philosophy each season.
We recreated nature’s seemingly haphazard surface texture using mottled wool yarns of varying thicknesses in a hand-tufted loop pile construction. Naturally neutral tones highlight our Hickory rug, the star of our “weekender” collection.
Nature got the design off on the right foot, but we finished strong using on-trend hues of toffee, platinum, and pewter…perfect to compliment a variety of room styles.
How do you determine the correct size rug for your space? It is not an exact science. The type of room and furniture placement should factor into your decision. We suggest leaving an equal amount of flooring exposed on all sides of the room. The first step is always to measure the space using a tape measure. One of the most common mistakes is to rely on a visual or ‘eyeball’ the space. A 6×9 rug can look very differently hanging on a rack. To make it easy, use our room planner!
Dining & Breakfast Room:
- When selecting a room size rug for the dining room, you need to measure the length and width of your table. Don’t forget to include the table leaf if you use it frequently.
- A good rule of thumb is to allow at least 24″ to 30″ of rug beyond the table on each side to allow chairs to move in and out, ensuring the chair is still placed on the rug when seated. For visual interest, a round rug is a great choice beneath either a round or square table. Use the guide below to determine the best size rug for your dining room.
- If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
Living or Family Room:
- When selecting a room size rug, allow 12″ to 18″ of floor as a border around the rug; however in small rooms, you can leave less floor showing. In a very large or open room, you may want to consider using two different, but related rugs, to anchor each seating area.
- Your rug should anchor your furniture, use the guide below for options. If you prefer, furniture legs may be placed on or off the rug.
- Make sure to account for any heating vents or doorways.
- Depending on the usage of the room, you may want to consider traffic patterns.
- An 8×10 rug brings together most furniture groupings nicely. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for details.
- When selecting a room size rug for the bedroom, it’s always nice to start your day with a step or two on our rugs. Use the guide below to determine the best options based on the room layout and your needs.
- If you have twin beds in the same room, a 3×5 rug or runner between the beds is always a great choice.
- This is the perfect place to play around with rug sizes-try a round rug or a rectangular rug placed at a diagonal underneath the bed. If you need a larger rug, custom sizes are available – contact us for more details.
- Make sure the door can open and close over the rug. Consider the thickness or pile height of the rug.
- If it’s a long hallway, you can also consider using two 8 ft runners.
Do you still have questions? Contact Our Design Consultants!
If you have any additional questions about measuring a room, please feel free to contact us.
102 Old Turnpike Road
Concord NH 03301
No Tweedle Dee, and definitely no Tweedle Dumb……Looking Glass was inspired by classic magnificent patterns, a modern damask exploded in soft jewel tones. Luxe and fanciful, the design feels both aged and patinaed, clean and modern. Our Looking Glass rug is very now…
Hand-tufted of bamboo viscose, Looking Glass is super-soft and sumptuous. Evoking a casual & modern opulence, Looking Glass sets the stage for a glamorous living room, or a bedroom haven no one would ever want to leave.
Saturated in shimmering color: topaz, sapphire, and aquamarine hues sparkle to life enhanced by the shine only bamboo viscose yarns can deliver.
Click here to order a sample of our Looking Glass rug today.
Every season finds us excited to share fresh designs with you, and this fall is no exception! Galleria is our newest statement rug design, and the “glass act” of our modern opulence collection. Inspired by the way the colors of Murano glass blend from one saturated hue to the next, this bursting paisley is drenched in layer upon layer of color.
Galleria is super-soft, hand-tufted of bamboo viscose. And by soft we mean sumptuously so. Galleria is perfect for your special oasis, or your casually dressy spaces…think favorite jeans and a velvet shirt.
Galleria is saturated in vibrant color, each shade enhanced by the shimmery shine only bamboo viscose yarns can deliver.
“If you want to be inspired by the artistry of Murano glass blowing in person, check out Show Me Italy’s tour of Venice and Murano”. Click here to learm more: http://www.showmeitaly.com/product/murano-glass-blowing-tour/
Image courtesy of showmeitaly.com
We developed our hand-hooked jute rugs for those who do not want the heavy look and feel of thick, densely tufted wool pile. From a design perspective, the look of our jute rugs is light, clean, and ideal for any region of the country.
Hand Spun & Dyed Jute Yarns
Our hand-hooked jute rugs are nothing like the scratchy heavy mats that welcomed you through the front door when you were a kid. These rugs are soft underfoot, and perfect for any interior location.
Hand-Hooked Jute Rugs
Our hand-spun and dyed jute yarns ensure color vibrancy, and bring our designs to vivid geometric life. Nothing bland or monochromatic in our jute collection!
Hand-Hooked Jute Rugs
Naturally stronger than wool, hand hooked jute rugs are a great choice for all your interior spaces.
We understand how Monet could become so obsessed! Water lilies have been a source of inspiration for centuries, their floating beauty offering a sense of calm, and an opportunity for reflection. Their colors and aquatic environment create dream-worthy moments, and were the spark of inspiration behind our water lilies hand-made rug and decorative pillow.
One of the earliest plants to ever flower, water lilies are considered the “missing” link between flowering and non-flowering flora, and have a number of interesting traits that species the world over share:
Water lilies live only in fresh water. Ideal conditions include a depth of 18 to 24 inches, and relatively still conditions making ponds, streams, and the edges of deeper lakes their ideal habitats.
Long stems anchored in the soil beneath the water attach to large leaves, or pads, and furnish nutrients to the plant. These lily pads create a floating canopy of green designed to collect sunlight for photosynthesis while providing shade for fish, and a resting spot for frogs and dragon flies.
The lily flower develops underwater, and when ready to open, emerges between the pads and floats on the water’s surface. The flower opens in the morning and closes at night for three days, then dies. Other water lilies in more tropical regions will replicate this same cycle and duration, with the difference being their blooms emerge at night as the sun goes down, closing the following morning.